Friday, May 20, 2011

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT

     From a block away I'd already made up my mind.  I was on my way to work at Dino's Cafe in the North End when I first spotted the girl.  Like a weather vein the turbulent morning workforce turned her in all directions.  As I closed the gap between us, not one stone face accepted the pamphlets she offered.
     Despite the heavy winter coat I could tell she was a little bit of a thing.  Bundled up in a hat and scarf all that showed were distant eyes and a forced smile.  I offered a genuine one in return and paused with a pleasant: “good morning," and "thank you," as I took the folded paper.  Up close she looked mildly catatonic yet genuinely seraphic.  There was a second, I could have sworn, of reciprocation; a tiny spark, and then it vanished.  
   Spinning in a failed attempt to hand off to the next by passer, she went one way and I continued on, glancing down at the flyer:
                          
OH GOD NO!  Turning and taking up chase I caught back up confronting the young woman. "No, this can't be!  It just can't!"  Staring back her eyebrows disappeared under that stocking cap and her mouth rounded to a gaping hole of terror. "Please no!"  I continued. "Can you get it touch with somebody, even 'HER' if you have to, and move this date?  Please! Please!" 
     Petrified, she managed to summons the word: "Why?" "Because it's my birthday! Of all days it has to be May 21st?  You've got to be kidding me!" Can't it be moved - even just one day? “
     Most of the foot traffic had passed.  It seemed we stood there alone.  The silence suspended time, but I held my ground, and my straight face.  Then finally there was break, and through whatever twisted brainwashing she'd undergone we shared a smile. 
      Turning, I left thinking, even if it does happen; I’ll feel fine.

2 comments:

  1. This one is brief yet brilliant. A real winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J, I have to say I am happy this didn't happen on May 11 but even if it did happen on May 21 and again I am happy I am still here basking in the late May sunshine, I would have left thinking the same thing, "I'll feel fine." Love S!

    ReplyDelete